Thursday 13 September 2007

Picture of the Week: #33

[taken during week from 13/08 to 19/08]

Another slightly cheaty picture to cover over the embarrassing lack of photos a few weeks ago. This one displays something that I end up doing all too frequently - namely, Photoshopping. Or "manipulating photos using Adobe™ Photoshop™ software", as I'm sure Adobe™ would prefer me™ to say. I'm not exactly brilliant at this, although I'm pretty pleased with the outcome of this particular effort. Compare it to the experts' work, though, and you'll see that I've got some way to go before being properly competent with it.

It's slightly worrying that Photoshopping is so easy nowadays. At least it used to be the case that you had to be, you know, incredibly powerful and/or evil to edit history like this, so it was easy to spot the people doing it. Now, any schmuck with a computer and a digital camera can put together a version of his own reality - and if the result is reproduced at low quality, it can often look utterly convincing. You could almost call it the democratisation of history...if you didn't mind sounding completely pretentious, of course.

No comments: