Tuesday 11 September 2007

Picture of the Week: #32

[picture taken - well, kind of - during week from 06/08 to 12/08]

Yeah, OK, this is kind of cheating. Unfortunately, though, I managed not to take any photos at all during the week in question, so I'm going to have to give you a picture you've already seen in miniature - my latest profile picture.

If you're wondering who that particular Simpsons character is, then don't worry, it isn't one - it's simply the output of the Burger King marketing initiative called Simpsonize Me. The idea of the site is that it takes a photo of you, then produces a Simpsons version of it. In practice, pretty much all of the details get put in during the long "manual tweaking" section, but it's still a fun service, and I think the final result really does look quite like me.

I'm never really sure what to think about campaigns like this. On the one hand, it is a cynical attempt to drag as much money as possible out of customers, even those who have hardly ever been to Burger King (hello, that's me!) and don't really have any intention of going. I'm not sure I want to support something like that. That said, it does provide you with something pointless yet entertaining, for free, and maybe it's a good thing to support that kind of effort.

And maybe it's possible to entirely overthink this. For goodness' sake, it's just a cartoon picture...

No comments: