Thursday 1 March 2007

The Logic Of Frustration (or, Why Everything Is Microsoft's Fault)

Observation: The code for the last bit of my research project has not yet been debugged and might not work.

Deductions:

  1. If I had got into the department before it closed, I would have been able to debug the code.
  2. If I had reached the department one minute earlier than I did, I would have got in.
  3. If I had not had to wait at the traffic lights, I would have reached the department at least one minute earlier than I did.
  4. If I had reached the traffic lights 30 seconds earlier, I would not have had to wait.
  5. If I had left the house 30 seconds earlier, I would have reached the traffic lights 30 seconds earlier.
  6. If I had not had a brief instant messenger conversation with one of my friends telling her that I couldn't talk as I was about to leave the house, I would have left the house at least 30 seconds earlier.
  7. If I had not had an IM client running in the first place, I would not have had that conversation.
  8. If I had not wanted to check my Hotmail account, I would not have needed to start an IM client.
  9. If Microsoft did not offer Hotmail accounts, I would not have one.
Conclusion: If the last bit of my research project doesn't work, it's Microsoft's fault.

2 comments:

Greg Tarr said...

although one can check one's e-mail without logging into MSN?

Phil said...

Well...yes. But that makes it my fault, rather than that of a faceless corporation. And that's no fun at all.