Sunday 13 April 2008

Holy domain hosting, Batman!

The whole system of domain name registration on the Internet is, by Internet standards, incredibly old. Can't get much older, actually, given that it's the basis on which the entire net is built. If you couldn't get a domain name, people would have to find your site by knowing the IP address; it would be much the same situation as the humble BBS was in before the World Wide Web came along.

Given how long the system's been going, therefore, you might think that pretty much all the good domain names must have gone now, either bought and turned into decent sites, or bought up to sell to someone who wants to make a decent site. However, you would be wrong. All of the following domain names are, at the time of writing, available to register for a nominal fee.

  • squirrelwithachainsaw.com
  • fantasticweasel.com
  • tastypotato.com
  • eggfriednoodle.com
  • blunderbuss.com
  • holyguacamole.co.uk
  • albinoalligator.co.uk
  • suggestivedigestive.com
  • recklessgecko.com
  • brassymonkey.com

If you can't find something to enjoy in that lot, I don't think I can help you. However, there is one domain name that would also be great, and yet is sadly unavailable.

Because I've got it.

www.ballpointbanana.com is, as of this evening, open for your delectation. It's going to basically have much the same kind of stuff as I've got here, but because it's privately hosted, I have considerably more control over it. That means that any fun bits of programming I do from now on will end up there (thank goodness...programming the "strange unit calculator" in a way that didn't break Blogger took forever), as will any photos that need more web space than I can provide with Photobucket.

Hopefully it will also let me post more multimedia-type stuff, especially music and so on. Just to be clear, The Beautiful Hypothesis is going to continue, and hopefully I'll be able to keep doing the same kind of stuff here as I have been up until now. Whenever I put something new up there, I'll mention it here (if it's worth mentioning), and anything I put here that's worth keeping will be backed up on Ballpoint Banana.

And if you were wondering about the site's name...the eighth bit of dialogue on this page should give you a hint.

1 comment:

StuckInABook said...

I have now seen this Batman film. It is unquestionably the best film ever.