Wednesday 3 October 2007

Picture of the Week: #39

[created during week running from 24/09 to 30/09]

I can't quite believe that it's taken me this long to catch up with myself on the Picture of the Week front - for goodness' sake, I was only gone for about a month in the summer, and now it's taken me over twice that to get back up to date. And to top it all off, I managed to not only fail to take any photos last week, I also managed to fail to make any kind of graphical creative work whatsoever. This is more than a little bit poor.

However, I have tried to redeem myself, by tonight producing the above artwork which shows, in a graphical form, something creative that I did do last week. In this case, it's a piece of music that I made. I'm by no means a great musician, but I have to say that playing around with technology to make music is just brilliant fun. (The Start menu on my laptop has 13 applications in a folder called "Music and CD Utilities", for reference - this includes 2 conversion codecs/utilities, 2 CD rippers/burners, 2 audio editors, 2 MIDI sequencers, 2 drum machines and a tone generator. I am nothing if not thorough.) Having the kind of patient temperament that lets me run through the same piece of music again and again, trying out subtly different effects and EQs, certainly also helps.

In this case, the music was built up from the daringly-named "Rock Song", an electric guitar-only track that one of my friends posted on his Myspace page. Within a couple of days, I'd got hold of the MP3, and had added bass and drums before mixing the whole thing and returning the finished product. If you want to know what it sounded like...well, I don't really have any way of showing you precisely, but you can look at the above picture (you'll certainly need to click it to see the full view) for a good idea of it. (Helpfully, I've included subtitles for the hard of hearing.) I hope you enjoy it. Normal Picture of the Week service should resume this Sunday.

No comments: